Get help from a lawyer who understands New York State liquor licensing laws

If you are interested in opening a bar, tavern, nightclub, cabaret or any venue that serves or sells alcohol anywhere in New York State, it is very easy to find yourself tangled up in the complex web of laws and regulations. To obtain a New York State liquor license, you need the proper guidance and advice from a lawyer well versed in the hospitality industry and knowledgeable with the Alcohol Beverage Control Laws of New York State. As a member of the New York State Restaurant Association and as an attorney practicing in the hospitality field obtaining various liquor licenses and permits for almost 20 years. I understand the system and can help you through the process from start to finish.

Call my office at (718) 777-7070 to set up an appointment to discuss how I can assist you to obtain your license or permit.

Giving you the advantage of Attorney Certification

When you are our client, you get the advantage of Attorney Certification. We self-certify applications for liquor licenses, meaning the application approval process is expedited by the New York State Liquor Authority (NYSLA). Licensing can take several months, but with our Attorney Certification, we can reduce this time by several weeks.

Types of liquor licenses

There are two basic categories of New York State liquor licenses. The first is an on-premises (OP) license, which allows for the on-premises consumption of alcoholic beverages as follows:

  • OP — Full liquor license for all types of alcoholic beverages; also permits the sale of beer for off-premises consumption
  • HL — Hotel license for all types of alcoholic beverages
  • CL — Club license for all types of alcoholic beverages
  • RW — Restaurant wine license for wine and beer
  • EB — Eating place beer license for beer

The second type of license is an off-premises license, which allows for the off-premises consumption of alcoholic beverages as follows:

  • L — Liquor store license permitting sale of liquor and wine
  • A/DS — Grocery store or drug store license permitting sale of beer
  • AX/DX — Grocery store or drug store license permitting sale of beer and wine coolers

Retail liquor license requirements

In New York State, the minimum requirements for a retail liquor license applicant are:

  • U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien status
  • Age 21 or older
  • No felony convictions
  • Not a police officer with arresting powers

Applications may be denied based on location. Your establishment cannot be within 200 feet of a church, school, synagogue or any other place of worship. Other reasons for denial include:

  • Failure to disclose residential past
  • Failure to disclose criminal past
  • Failure to disclose source of funds
  • Incomplete or missing information

After you have been issued your license, it is important to strictly obey the rules of the New York State Liquor Authority. Failure to adhere to their guidelines can lead to citations and possible revocation of your liquor license.

If you need a New York liquor license attorney, call Materassi Legal, P.C.

At Materassi Legal, we fully explain the process of liquor license acquisition for your business and ensure that it goes smoothly. Call us today at (718) 777-7070 to arrange for a free initial consultation at our Manhattan location. Our office hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., and evenings by appointment


• Freddie Mac multifamily mortgage programs

• Fannie Mae multifamily loan programs

• Real estate acquisition, construction and permanent lending

• Subordinated debt and mezzanine lending

• Leasehold mortgage financing

• Bankruptcy and foreclosure proceedings

• Loan participations and syndications

• Multistate loan transactions

• Counsel and representation in all real estate financing transactions

Are you looking for someone to help?

Let us help you! Call Now : (1)2345-2345-54
·  Mon – Fri 09:00-17:00